Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hobknobbing with Virginia and the Forbes Family

So, I got home last night around 1am.....packed for the next 7 days (two trips).....worked until 415am.....went to bed, and then got up a few hours later to be right BACK at the Austin airport at 830am. I had a few calls for work before I got on the plane, and thought it was going to be easier to get that taken care of if I was already at the gate. My 1130am flight was delayed until 130pm, so I was able to get a lot of work done before I took off for NY.

I am in NY for a few days of training and visiting with the office folks here, but after I got here tonight, I had plans to meet up with my cousin, Virginia, for some dinner.

After my $80+ and 1 hour 15 minute cab ride into the city, and getting checked into my swanky Times Square hotel, I went to meet Virginia at Chelsea Brewing Company at the Pier. We had great food, enjoyed a local brew, and talked for a few hours outside right on the water. There were amazing boats all lining the dock, and so we opted to take that route to get back to where we could get transportation for the way home.


Well, during our getting caught up chat, Virginia had talked about seeing this one boat, from the view from her gym, that always hosted private parties, and also always had a bag piper on board. So, upon our walk along the pier, when we came upon this impressive boat, I had to snap a few photos. Right as I was pressing the button to capture it, 3 guys walked around the corner, and asked us if we wanted to join them for a Jack and Coke, and a tour of this particular boat. Virginia, being a born and raised NYer, was a little leery of these strangers at first....but after my many "Really? You can get on this boat? Are you serious?", and the reply being "Yes. Honest. If this key opens this door, will you believe us then?", I looked at her and said "Why not?!". I consider myself a pretty good judge of character, and knew that we were in OK hands, and in for a treat.



So, we boarded The Highlander, and Chris, along with the other two professional crew for the boat, and they proceeded to make good on their offer. We gladly took our drinks, and in hand, accepted a tour of this fantastic yacht. It was 151 feet, and I think about 4 stories. We went all throughout it, in awe the entire time.

Oh, I forgot to mention. This boat is owned by the Forbes family, as in Steve Forbes....of Forbes magazine. Crazy, huh? It was beautiful. This was The Highlander V, and had some amazing stories. All sorts of US Presidents have been entertained on this boat, as well as Elizabeth Taylor, Margaret Thatcher....and others, to many to mention. It's sailed the world a number of times, and is so detailed in every aspect.

We got to go into the main operation room....where it was mind numbing to me that this ONE steering wheel was in charge of the motion of this entire boat! There have been some pretty important people that have taken a picture just like the one we did. They were hanging on the wall in that same room. Ronnie Reagan was one of them - crazy!




The main engine room was spotless and beautiful. My dad would have loved to have seen that room.


Chris did a great job recounting the stories and history of the family, as well as the boat. It was so neat that I think that my jaw didn't come back to my mouth the entire time we were walking around. When we toured the guest quarters, I took the chance to lay where Malcolm Forbes used to....the pillow read 'Home Sweet Yacht'. I can only dream that one day I'll have one like that of my own - ha!!





Overall, we spent about an hour and a half on the boat, and since it was after 1am, and I had to get up early for training the next day.....said our thank yous, and restarted our journey home.

Virginia helped me hail a cab, and I made it home safe and sound. I love being able to travel for my job to see different parts of the US, and meet new poeple, but mostly because I have the unique opportunity to be able to do fun things like this, and catch up with people that I don't get to see very often. Thanks to Virginia for a great night!!! I hope we get to do it again sometime soon!

No comments: