Sunday, March 30, 2008

31st Annual Capital 10K with Toni and Melissa - We Did IT!

So, I blogged us starting off at the Austin American Statesman's Capital 10K race this morning at 9am. Now I'm back home for the night, and will finish up about the day.....what a day it was!!!

We met at Mel's place at 745am....YES, that is in the morning....on a Sunday.....are you proud of us yet?? Well, you should be, that is WAY too early for a weekend. Anyways.....we stopped at Starbucks on the way there, and found rockstar parking on 6th when we got downtown.

It was about 68 degrees already at 8-ish, so we thought that it would turn out to be a pretty decent day for a 10K. Well....we made it over to the starting area, decided to watch the runners start off, and then it started to rain. It wasn't drizzling, I mean, it wasn't coming down cats and dogs or anything, but it was enough to soak the little cute dog that was watching the race right in front of us. He started to look more like a wet lion rather than a terrier mix....but he was cute nonetheless. We waited for the walkers to get going, and joined in once it started to die down, and we were on our way.

The rain was not making Miss Toni very happy. She commented that she thought that I'd be the whiny one with the rain, but she must have surprised herself too when she realized that it was her, and not me. I was just happy to be there. Seriously....why was I so happy?? It was probably only because I had on a hat....had I left that at home, I might have been the whinier one. :)

BUT...we powered through the rain and the pain. We were making pretty good 15 minute walking miles at the beginning, but then I started to feel it.....not sure if it was just me that was slowing us down (I'm going to go ahead and say that it wasn't), but if the clocks were correct (which they were not at all the mile markers during the race), we crossed the finish line, the 6.2 miles total, after around 1 hour and 55 minutes. I think that the winners, the ones that were running, finished in about 31 minutes.....that is ludicrous!!

We opted to celebrate our accomplishment with brunch and mimosas at Opal Divine's on 6th. I had a great time, once again, participating in one of Austin's finest traditions. 4th year down, and many more to go!

Of course I brought my camera...which I think I might have ruined a little more with the rain, but you know I can't pass up documenting the event.




This is the reaction I got when I asked Toni how she was enjoying the race in the rain......funny enough, I got the same answer from Melissa.





2 comments:

~Kara~ said...

I love the pics of T and M giving you a piece of their mind. Too bad it rained, but it didn't seem to stop the fun for you all. I gotta try those mimosas at one point, they look ultra-tasty.

Beankountess said...

LOL! Love the censored photos!

My feets are starting to feel better too!

Next year, I'm wearing a hat, a raincoat and bringing extra things to change into after the race ;-)Don't let me forget..