Sunday, April 20, 2008

Zip, zip, zooray!!!

Danielle, Laura and I did something fun, exciting, and different today - we zipped through the cypress trees in Spicewood, Texas with the good people at Cypress Valley Canopy Tours.


For those of you that haven't zip-lined before, let me set up the scenario. You are put into this nifty little contraption that is oh so comfortable, it goes right between your legs, straddles your backside, and is cinched REAL tight around your waist. You then get a pulley device, gloves, and straps with the hooks that will keep you attached to the zips.

We were in Cypress Valley....hence the Cypress trees. They were huge, and SOOOOO green, the view was so pretty. We had to go over a few bridges throughout the course too, but the zips were the most fun. You're latched onto the wire, and then you hold on and ZIP away! Our guides, Meagan and Brooke took great care of us, and made sure that we had a fantastic afternoon.


We did the Canopy Tour first - it consisted of 6 zip lines and a few bridges. Once that was complete, and we were good and professionals, we opted to stick around for the Canopy Challenge.


We weren't allowed to bring cameras on this part, but it was AWESOME. We zipped to the challenge part, and came across the fun part. There were 3 paths to choose from: Hard, HardER and HardEST. They all looked like fun, but I opted for the HardEST path.

The first part of my path had me running across a log bridge, that didn't have any handrails. Well, it was HARD and my balance isn't as great as I thought it was, so I kind of cheated and held onto my harness ropes when I crossed. What was waiting for me on the other side wasn't any easier. It was a metal tightrope that had some ropes to use as an option to hold onto, and it was NOT simple. It wasn't scary, just a challenge!! It is NOT easy to walk a tightrope between trees holding onto ropes that are also hanging from trees....but it WAS fun. I kind of teetered a few times, thank goodness I had a harness or I would have been in big trouble!!! Once I made it to the end, I had to JUMP to catch the Tarzan rope to get to the next platform, where I was going to try the HardER route to get to the end.

After watching a few people do the HardER route, I thought that the HardEST looked easier, so I Tarzan-ed BACK to where I'd come from, and then I did the next part...oh what did they call it....I can't remember....but basically, there were 3 ropes that I used to get from the middle tree stand to the last one. That one was easier than the tightrope to me, but just as much fun. It doesn't seem like it, but I KNOW that I'm going to be sore tomorrow. :) (I just found it online, it was called the "Hourglass").

The last thing that we got to do was called the "Superman" zipline! The pulley that had been attached to our stomachs, was moved to our back, and another one was attached to our tailbone. We then were hooked to the zipline with the two pulleys and we FLEW through the air, head first, to the last tree stand. It was amazing!

It was a fantastic day, and such a great time. I love to do these kinds of things, and will be looking for our next adventure - whatever that may be!!


Click here to see all the pictures from our adventure!

3 comments:

~Kara~ said...

You 3 are brave broads! Looks fun! Wheee!

loragaige said...

You're so crazy! What adventure do you have planned next?

Julie said...

Tag....you're it! Check out my blog to see what I'm talking about. :)