Wednesday, April 30, 2008

NSM Day 1

I got up this morning and was ready to go WAY earlier than we had to be anywhere. I ended up sitting in my room talking to the internal tech people because, while they had sent me my new work laptop to the hotel, it hadn't been setup to be ready for me. But, the tech was kind enough to help me get a temporary login so I wasn't without the internet for long. :)

The day kicked off with lunch outside around noon - a beautiful day in Orlando. Everyone was getting checked in, and there was definitely a buzz in the air! It was then that it hit me that I wasn't at Dell anymore. I guess it hadn't really sunk in yet because the office in Austin was all former Dell people, and we were still in Round Rock...practically right across the street from the old campus. But, once the folks started showing up, people that I didn't know, and had no idea what they did....I had no idea what I do yet for that matter....it hit me that I wasn't in Round Rock anymore. It was kind of neat, but also kind of scary at the same time.

All 268 of us sat in the main ballroom for the opening remarks from the CEO, VP of Sales, as well as several others. It was really pretty amazing....the marketing team that put together the event did a fantastic job!! After some pretty significant achievement awards were handed out, the sales teams broke out to meet with their regions. This was when my new boss took me, as well as 2 other newbies, around to meet everyone. We went from room to room, and he did the intros.....wow, here were all the people that I would be working with from now on - so neat!!!

Oh.....in case you want to know what I'm doing.....my title is "National Practice Manager - HP IPG & Supplies". What does that mean? Well, I'm essentially the "Print Lady" at the company. I'll be working with all the field and insides sales teams on everything that has to do with HP Printers, and it'll be my responsibility to run programs, manage field engagement, among other things, to grow that overall business within the company. YES, this is quite a change from what I've been doing. I have a LOT to learn, but I'm so excited and ready to jump right in. :)

After all the introductions.....we had a few minutes to get changed and ready for the Olympics. We were put on teams ahead of time, and provided with a shirt that was our team color for the event. I thought about it before I came, and decided to bring my kickball tube socks to spice up my attire for the night. So....I put on my socks, my hair in pigtails, and headed to the Olympics with the spirit to win! We were the yellow team.....the Bumblebees, Hornets, or Daisies, depending on which team was trying to taunt us. I could spend a lot of time going through the details of the night...but bottom line is that we didn't win. We had a blast, and despite our referee trying to help us out, we didn't make it to the final four teams. Oh well.....I think that our team definitely won in the most drinks consumed during the activities - that's gotta count for something.



After the final showdown....the dark green team took the grand prize....we headed over to Croc's...the outdoor pool bar area, and mingled some more. I met a LOT of people....I think it was mostly because of my socks......but I was talking to everyone I met about selling some printers! :)

Went to bed entirely too late, but had a great first day to the NSM. :)

No comments: