Monday, April 14, 2008

Bittersweet Goodbyes and New Beginnings

Today I put in my two weeks at work. I've accepted a position at a new company, working with some former colleagues, and I'm very excited about the opportunity of taking on something totally new, challenging, and hopefully fun at the same time.

My excitement, however, did NOT make it any easier...at all....to leave my current job. Yes, there have been times when I wanted to just toss my badge and run out the doors screaming, but the people that I've worked with over the last two years made this a very difficult decision. They've been absolutely amazing to work with, and been more than just coworkers, they have become friends. I can't tell you how hard it was to tell them that I was leaving.

It wasn't too terrible to tell my boss, and the folks at MY company that I work with....it's become increasingly harder to work there for everyone just due to growing pains and bureaucracy, and be happy, and I am not the only one. Even my own boss, right before I told him I was leaving, was telling me how much he was dreading being at the office that day.

So, after I left the meeting with my manager, I started to make the phone calls that made my stomach turn. I wanted to call them and tell them myself, instead of it coming across in an unsuspecting email. I called Mickey first. She was floored and really sad to hear the news.....not any more sad than I was to share it though. I was outside in the grassy area behind my building, on my cell phone, which turned out to be a good thing because I started getting all emotional and boo-hoo-ey when talking to her. I swear, it was like I was breaking up with them....the hardest thing I've done in a long time. It's not like I'm not going to still be friends with them (well, at least I hope not), but it is very sad to be not be working with the greatest people anymore. It was so sweet to hear the same sentiments from everyone I called....they were all happy for me, and wished me the best, but were really sad to see me go, hope that they find a replacement that can fill my shoes, is as fun to work with and still get things done, etc. I know these might be things that are always said when someone leaves, but I took it to heart, and I am really going to miss them all. Even Rex had some really sweet things to say, and not once did he refer to me as the PITA that he loved to call me. It didn't make it any easier to leave, hearing all those nice things, but I know that I'm making the right decision.

I am super excited about my new job. It has nothing to do with what I've done over the last 9 years in technology, and I'm looking forward to being a sponge again, and soaking up all the new stuff that I get to learn.

I finish up my two weeks, my last day is next Friday, then I start my new gig on Monday. I head to Florida for the National Sales Meeting on Tuesday for the week.....nothing like jumping right in, getting to meet all the players on day 2 - love it! :) Wish me luck!!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Congratulations! That's awesome! You'll have to give me more details on your new job and what company you are working for.

Beankountess said...

I am so happy for you! Lots of new things are in store for you!

DCM Photography said...

Congrats Annmarie. Let me know when you have all this extra money and I can tell you all kinds of cool photography stuff to buy!