Thursday, October 2, 2008

Downsizing and feeling good!!!

My life used to be ruled by my television shows. I can remember Saturdays where I'd lay on the couch all day just getting caught up on what my DVR had recorded for me that week. Honestly, I had like 15 one hour shows that I couldn't live without watching.

When the writer's strike happened, it was actually a blessing in disguise for me. There weren't any shows on TV for me to watch....and so I found other things to do with my time. Well, since then, I have gotten real used to not watching it.

Since the shows have started back up, I have only managed to watch the first episode of Prison Break, and I found it horribly hard to sit still during that 2 hours, and concentrate on just the show alone. I got bored. What? Me - get bored with TV??? I mean, especially when it's Wentworth Miller??? Wow, I'm grown so much in the last year!! :)

So, since the shows started back up, my DVR has been diligently recording episodes of Prison Break, Heroes, Grey's Anatomy, and whatever else has started up that I haven't noticed....but I can't find time to watch them. And I don't even miss it.

I called Time Warner yesterday to see what my options were if I got rid of my home phone line AND the ridiculous number of cable channels that I have, but don't use.

Old Monthly Charge $137
NEW Monthly Charge $67

WOOHOO!! I know it's pretty silly to be so excited about saving $70 a month....but honestly, it feels really good to do it. That adds up to almost $900 in a year. I dropped my DVR off this morning and I'm all set.

Well....almost all set. The girl at the TW location said that I also now have to bring in my cable modem (ugh, why didn't the person on the phone tell me that) and get it swapped out too. Anyways.......here's to living a more simple life.

What have you done lately to simply your life? Anything in your life that you can cut out that you aren't really using and spending carelessly? I'd love to hear about them - maybe give me some more ideas!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Annemarie, I have been spending more time volunteering at the food pantry. Rather than plopping down in front of the TV.I was channel surfing most of the time, anyway.

It is just stocking shelves, which are pretty bare these days, but I just wanted to somehow be a part of the solution.

I am not moving mountains but, I am giving the molehills the business! :D

I feel good afterwards and I enjoy working with the other "stockers". I am giving my time rather than my sympathy to those in need.

Their misery does not need company.

Peace - Rene

Brett Bollman said...

Just think how much time we'd all have if TV didn't exist! There would probably be so many more productive people in this world!

I like Rene's response!! What a wonderful thing to do! I need to get off my own butt and do some stuff like that.

$70 extra a month... hmmm.... I'm guessing you could probably use a laptop 3G card?!? Internet from anywhere... hmmmm!?!?

Anonymous said...

I haven't had cable in over 5 years. I don't miss it at all. It's possible to get so much more done without the time suck known as "Prime Time Programming". Pop Culture is overrated anyway.

-the fish