Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Meat....oh my goodness....MEAT!!!

Tonight I headed out to Llano with some former co-workers for a real authentic Texas BBQ treat. Mike and Jacob were in town from Utah.....and since they are my friends and they make me laugh.....and I wanted to hang out with them while they are here.....I was invited to the group dinner out at Cooper's BBQ. So, the 6 of us piled into a very large SUV, and made the trek West on Highway 29.

The hour and a half drive out there was really pretty, for Texas anyways.....all through the hill country. We saw some really neat small towns, heard some interesting history stories from the various folks in the car, did a little catching up on what's been happening with every one's work, and all together enjoyed each other's company.

We arrived in Llano....and found Cooper's BBQ right on Highway 29.


This is REAL Pit BBQ folks. I mean....you walk up straight to the pit, and tell the nice man, who is standing over more meat than I've ever seen in my life....what you want to eat. Ribs, brisket, pork chops, sausage, turkey, chicken....a LOT of meat.


He dips it in the sauce......wraps it all up, and brings it to you inside at the line while you are trying to decide how much room you think you'll have left in your tummy for the sides that they have too. We got some potato salad, coleslaw....and what do you know, that you get all the beans you can eat for no additional charge - score!! HA!

We sat down and after almost 2 hours of talking on the ride.....were silent......we ate. We all ate.....we went for more meat.....and ate that too. Oh, did I mention that they have the most amazing butter in a plastic jar that is already melted so it's nice and spreadable on the bread? Reminded me of old college days when butter on bread was dinner.....it was GOOD. I ate enough for more than me, and it didn't stop there.


We ate until we couldn't eat anymore.....and then we went back for dessert. There was apple, peach and blackberry cobbler to be had....and we had all three. :) Yummy!!


There was plenty of leftovers to take home.....Jordan made out with the leftover dessert, which I am guessing by the proud display below, he was thrilled.



While the guys might not understand the concept of get together closer for the self portrait pic....they are a fantastic groups of guys, and I do miss working with them. I'm glad for the time we got to spend together catching up tonight.

No comments: