Saturday, September 27, 2008

Won't you stay on the Vineyard for the summer?

So, the reason I am in Boston, and now, Edgartown, in Martha's Vineyard, is to second shoot a wedding with Shyla. When she mentioned this to me back when we saw each other in NYC, I knew that I had to jump on this opportunity!

Since we were fortunate enough to be able to have the car with us, we headed into Edgartown to find Espresso Love for some caffeine and a snack before going to meet up with the bride. Wow, did we hit the jackpot with this place....the coffee was superb, and my cinnamon raisin bagel with butter totally hit the spot.

It was a beautiful wedding. Eileen and Chris were totally adorable, so in love, and 100% laid back - the day was really about them, their family, and the celebration of the two of them being together. It was so amazing to see Shyla in action - she is really so amazing at what she does - and I even picked up a few tricks along the way that I'm so excited about! I can't wait to get back home and test them out in Austin!!!

There were 9 little flower girls, 2 ring bearers, and a few other kiddos, all part of the wedding. They really made the day that much more enjoyable....the images that Shyla got of these little darlings are awesome.

So, you're wondering about the rain??? Well, it held off almost ALL day. The ceremony and reception were rain free, which made a fantastic afternoon. The kids were able to run and play in the big open area behind the reception venue (some awesome images to come from that) all afternoon. Right when things were winding down, the 4 of us (me, Shyla, along with the bride and groom) went down to the water's edge for a quick portrait session. I drove the getaway car, and dropped them off....circling the hotel until they were ready. After a few circles, it started to DOWNPOUR - I mean, REALLY, come down!! When I came back around, I saw the 3 of them running, umbrellas in hand, to get back to the car. They were all soaked, but WOW, did Shyla really take advantage of the weather, and managed to get some images that they should cherish for a lifetime. :)

I managed to stay dry as I was driving....but here's a quick shot of what we looked like after getting back to the reception area.


After we left the wedding, it was still light outside, so we made our way into town, and had to make a pit stop at one of the many "The Black Dog" shops on the island. Evidently the "black dog" is an island mascot of sorts, so it was only fitting to get ourselves some souvenirs while we could.

I got a message on Facebook from a friend, Regina, who saw my updates saying that I was in MV, and she recommended that we check out Nancy's in Oak Bluffs for some grub. We managed to locate it without too much hassle, and stuffed ourselves silly for dinner. The seafood here was fantastic!!


We ventured a little bit more around the town, managed to find a candy shop where we picked up a few goodies, and then headed back to the hostel for the night.

While sorting through some of the days images, I remembered a certain Jackopierce song that mentioned "the vineyard", and luckily had it on my phone for us to listen. It was so cool to hear it in a whole new light: mentions of the ferry, Oak Bluffs, and other things that we now knew about personally. I can now see why they would want to "stay on the Vineyard for the summer" - what a beautiful place!!!

No comments: