Saturday, May 31, 2008

The "Y" In the Mountain

The first time I came to Utah, in April 2006, it was me, KB, JD and Dean. We arrived in Provo and noticed this big white "Y" in the mountains near our hotel. We had about a 5 minute conversation amongst the 4 of us (or at least we thought all of us were part of it), wondering what it meant, how did it get there, who put it up there, etc. Well, about 10 minutes later, Dean, out of the middle of nowhere, goes "Hey! Did you guys see that Y in the mountain??". KB, JD and I just lost it. So, it's been a running joke since then, whenever one of us would say something stupid, we'd follow it up with "Hey, did you guys see the Y in the mountain?".

So....when Kara mentioned that it was possible to hike up to the Y, I knew I wanted to do it!! Plus, our morning at the falls wasn't really much of a "hike", and so I wanted to go ahead and do that while I was here. It was a gorgeous day, and I wasn't ready to not be outside anymore.

We picked up Alan to join us, and we were off. I definitely was feeling the effects of the 5500 feet above sea level, and boy, am I out of shape. Not even half way up and I was pooped, and my heart was beating SO fast. Both Alan and Kara said that we didn't have to go all the way, but I was determined, and so we powered through, and made it to the top.





The view of Provo from the top was amazing. We had a little fun at the top.....making our own "BYU", and of course we had to get some JUMP pics, and then headed back down.






The walk down was easier, and we made the entire trip up and back down in an hour and a half. Such a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. Kara and Alan are going to try to do that same path 3 times a week from now on.....I can say that I'm happy that I will be going home next week because I would be tempted to join them, and I'm sure it would kick my butt every time....just like it did today. :)

No comments: