Thursday, March 15, 2007

Rodeo Austin...and Taylor Hicks


My friend, Rick, is a HUGE Taylor Hicks fan....has been since the last season of Idol started. Back when it was in the beginning stages last season, I told Rick that I also really liked Taylor. I thought he was different and would go far in the competition. Over the course of AI, I got about 3 emails a week from Rick with the latest news on what Taylor had done, what people were saying about him, etc, etc, etc. Well, he won, as I am sure most of America knows at this point. So, when Taylor was in town last time, Rick asked me if I wanted to join him for the concert at Antone's. I went, and had a great time....Taylor put on a great show, in typical TH form, complete with the funky dance moves and with his old band. So, when Rick found out Taylor was going to be in town for the Austin Rodeo, he asked me to go. We headed out there a little bit early to enjoy the rodeo. The cowboys, the bull riders, horse riders, etc, were so entertaining. Taylor on the other hand, IMHO, wasn't so much. This time he was performing the songs from his album, the ones that the producers made him do, ones that were so snoozefest to me. It was very appropriate to most of the audience though....I think that I might have been the youngest person there. I felt bad for him, because you could almost see that he was also bored, and missing where he came from. But what do I know. But regardless of the show, it's always fun to hang out with Rick Stein. :)

No comments: